People always ask me where I find the time to read. I never really know what to say but after thinking about it, I came up with the following confessions.
1. I read a lot on a vacation. Admittedly, I do have a very short attention span but I combat this by taking breaks. Even on vacation, it seems I can’t stay focused for more than an hour at a time. I think this stems from classes in school and now meetings at work that last, oddly enough, exactly one hour. After an hour, I have to wander around, talk to someone, grab a coffee or just get up and stretch. Then I can read for exactly one more hour. In a week’s vacation I can read 4 books. As a side note, I call a “vacation” travel without my cherished children. With them along it becomes a “trip”, but even so I can still read 3 books.
2. I have a lot of daily habits and reading is one of them. This may sound boring but I am a very consistent person. This drives my friends and family crazy. By way of example: I get up every morning and work out. I go to work, I catch up on my beloved Twins, I watch all of my kids activities and then, almost like clockwork, at 10:15 I grab my book. And, of course, I read for exactly one hour. Then ZZZZZ.
3. I don’t watch TV. I don’t like TV. I have added one show, “Modern Family”, to my habit list because I think it is hysterically funny. But I use all that other TV time for my real daily habit: reading.
4. I always have 2 or 3 books going at the same time. I hate STARTING a book because it takes me a long time to get into it, so as I am getting near the end of a book, I try to stretch that book out by starting a new one and using the old one as a reward. Okay, so as I write this I realize that sounds weird, but it’s true.
5. I surround myself with social activities around books. I am in 4 book clubs with fabulous women. They give me incentive to read. Now I am a “book blogger” so one of my ice breaker questions when I meet people is: “what are you reading?”
As I re-read these confessions I realize that I may have some issues. At least they are all legal, they don’t make me look foolish in public and I get a lot of reading done.